For many of us trying to get our brands off the ground, increasing web traffic to our websites and pages is of the highest priority. Even if you have an incredibly high conversation rate for customers on your website, you can only go so far with a limited audience.
Tracking website traffic is not only a great practice to adopt for your own URLs, but it’s also a good practice to implement with regards to your competitors and peers. Most sites don’t make their traffic readily available to the public, so in order to get a decent estimate on traffic statistics, you’ll need to consult a website traffic checker.
But simply knowing website analytics is not enough to drive changes or increase traffic. That is why many of the best website checker tools come as part of a larger SEO suite where you can turn data into action. With these platforms, you can do everything from do a competitive analysis to find how your visitors are interacting with your site.
Something to bear in mind is that most checkers can’t be trusted to be 100% accurate. For that reason, it is important to think about traffic and SEO data generally in relative terms. This makes it all the more important to find a checker or SEO suite that you like and stick to it. Trying to compare data across platforms will be extremely misleading.
Each tool on this list has it’s own unique advantages and some of them are even free! Check them out here.
List Of The Top Website Traffic Checkers
Name recognition is the main thing that Google Analytics has going for it but it also won’t disappoint. This is a cloud-based analytical tool that helps businesses of all sizes and types analyze how their website is doing so they can identify weak spots and improve its effectiveness. You can gain marketing insights, track the behavior of the users to your website, and get a great “whole picture” of how your website is doing at any given time.
1. The free version allows you to do more than other companies’ “free” versions
2. You can analyze your content performance and monitor your ads’ performance
3. You can use their tools on mobile devices as well as your computer or tablet
2. There are constant updates; therefore, you need to stay educated to stay on top of them
3. It can be expensive; their Premium version costs $150,000 per year
*Google Analytics has two pricing plans. One is a free version and the other is a version that you have to pay for but you have to contact the company directly to get the prices associated with that one.
When it comes to the right website traffic checker, you need a good all-in-one package that helps you look at every part of your marketing campaign so you can determine what, if any, changes you need to make to make it more effective. With SEMrush, you get organic research tools that let you see your competitors’ best keywords, advertising research that allows you to localize all of your campaigns, a way to check the types of backlinks used, and the ability to explore multilingual and multinational environments when researching keywords. It does all this and more at prices you can afford.
1. You get very detailed breakdowns of your research data
2. You can eliminate the guesswork associated with Google AdWords, Bing Ads, etc.
3. It rates your keyword difficulty and makes suggestions for long-tail keywords
1. Extensive keyword lists are sometimes confusing and time-consuming to use
2. It may sometimes too technical for business owners to use on their own
3. There is no option for white-label reports
SEMrush offers three main pricing plans and if you choose to be billed monthly, your per-month charge is a little higher. Below are those prices (if you choose to be billed annually, your per-month charge will go down):
Alexa provides numerous tools and is the perfect website traffic checker because of these tools, which include SEO analysis, keyword research, target audience analysis, API, and a competitive website analysis. Best of all, they offer both free tools such as website traffic statistics and premium tools that include site comparisons, SEO audit tool, audience overlap, and on-page SEO checker, among others. The tools work together well to produce the results you’re looking for.
1. Offers very in-depth site audits to track your progress
2. Helps you determine ways to improve your site to get better results
3. Check overall ranking and on-page checking of your business easily and quickly
1. It sometimes gives misleading stats and information
2. It can be expensive for smaller businesses to use
3. Some heavy-duty tasks aren’t accommodated since it doesn’t always understand neutral commands
*There are three main areas of emphasis when you wish to view their prices, including:
*Marketing Stack: Advanced is $149/month; Agency is $299/month
*Website Traffic Analysis: Insight is $79/month
*Certified Alexa Rank: up to 10 million views per month is $19.99/month; up to 50 million is $79/month; up to 200 million is $249/month; and up to 1 billion is $799/month
One of the best parts about using SimilarWeb is that its services can help all types of businesses from retail outlets to agencies, travel businesses, and publishing houses. Some of its many features include the ability to uncover the best SEO and content strategies, find and qualify the best sales leads, discover ways to grow your share, and generate the insights you need to perfect your sales pitch. You can even sign up for free in order to determine if it’s right for your needs.
1. It is very user-friendly
2. The free version offers more than most
3. It provides tons of data coverage
1. Traffic for mobile devices and tablets isn’t estimated
2. The free version doesn’t allow the number of “unique visitors”
3. Sites with low traffic are overestimated.
*With SimilarWeb, there is a free version and a paid-for version but you have to contact the company to get an estimate for the latter.
Ahrefs offers numerous tools that help you rank higher and get more traffic without having to be an SEO expert yourself. This is an all-in-one set of tools that offers free learning materials and professional assistance that can help you understand how it’s all coming together to get great results for your campaign. Some of their tools include a site audit, rank tracker, site explorer, and keyword explorer; plus, their seven-day trial for only $7 is something that’s always hard to pass up.
1. It helps you find the perfect keyword to rank in Google and others
2. The backlink checker has a large database of links that even helps you research links of competitors
3. The reporting is powerful and easy to use
1. The organic keywords report sometimes makes it difficult to see how rankings change over time
2. It doesn’t explain why data is missing when it isn’t available
3. It is sometimes a little complex to maneuver
*There are four basic pricing plans for Ahrefs and the first two plans offer a seven-day trial period for just $7:
This is a great way to improve your marketing efforts and it offers features such as checking your Google score, checking your titles and page size, auditing your meta tags for URLs, tracking the content strategy changes of your competitors, and, best of all, an all-in-one platform that allows you to do all of this and more quickly and easily. You don’t even have to be tech-savvy in order to get the most out of this marketing tool.
1. It is very user-friendly
2. Complete content analysis allows you to see which areas you need to improve
3. It provides crucial information that you’ll need to improve the SEO ranking of your site
1. Sometimes the speed is slow when you’re checking sites
2. Some sales organizations have claimed that it is a struggle to use
3. Code issues don’t always show a lot of details
There are three main pricing plans and below are the prices if you pay per month; if you choose to pay annually, the per-month cost will naturally be lower.
The number-one reason why sales and marketing customers use VisualVisitor is because it gives them a way to discover what anonymous visitors to their website are actually doing and thinking when they visit. You can immediately be notified when visitors to your site return, allowing you to take fast action to capture their attention before it’s too late. Since the program is specially designed for salespeople, it offers personalized services to help with market segmentation, increasing the effectiveness of your outbound calls, and much more.
1. You can get great leads automatically with no logging into your account to receive them
2. You can integrate your website forms so you can import them to the CRM immediately
3. You can tag visitors from your email campaigns in order to record visits in the future
1. There is no API option
2. You cannot get customizable reports or tagging
3. It is only applicable to one website and three users
*VisualVisitor offers two plans. The first one costs $59 per month and you have to contact the company for a personalized quote on the second one. With both plans, however, you get a free 14-day trial period.
Siteprice.org doesn’t have marketing or SEO tools per se but it is a site that allows you to enter certain information and get feedback so that you can know where you stand in relation to other websites. You can find the price and value of competitors’ websites, their estimated website traffic, and the price of the website (not the business itself). It does this by gathering and analyzing various data from numerous online resources.
1. Completely free tool that any business can use
2. Many SEO tools to utilize
3. Great all-in-one tool that offers very detailed data
1. It is completely dependent on Alexa
2. It may not have some of the tools that some businesses need
3. The traffic count is not always accurate
*The Siteprice.org website is completely free and can be used 24/7 by anyone. All that you have to do is enter your information and it gives you the answers you’re looking for.
With keyword rank tracking that is 100% accurate, in-depth audits of your website, and an on-page SEO checker that lets you see how well optimized your page is for a particular keyword, SE Ranking provides everything you need to make sure that you know where your marketing campaign stands at any given moment. You get a keyword suggestion tool, analytics and auto-posting capabilities, and API access, to name a few features, providing you with everything you’ll need to improve your website’s effectiveness day after day.
1. It allows you to track keyword performance over time
2. It is an all-inclusive tool that gives you everything you need to analyze how well your website is doing
3. Video tutorials help you use the tools effectively, making the site user-friendly
1. It is easy to get confused because there are a lot of tools and some are not user-friendly
2. The UI is not very friendly
3. Reports may take you some time to configure
SE Ranking offers three main pricing plans that include:
Please note that these are the prices when the rankings are checked daily; if you choose to have them checked every three days or weekly, each price will be lower.
Much the same as other analytics programs, Hot Jar offers tools that include heatmaps, recordings that allow you to see what your users see, forms to help you visualize your users’ behavior, instant visual feedback for speediness, and even surveys that help you get to know your users a little better. Hot Jar concentrates on providing more than just numbers to look at; they also provide practical, easy-to-use tools that help shape your marketing efforts so that you always get the results you want.
1. It is GDPR-compliant
2. The heatmap lets you see what people click on most
3. Feedback polls are beneficial when releasing new features and collecting feedback from users
1. The funnels feature could stand some improvement
2. Incoming feedback surveys and feedback polls aren’t aesthetically appealing
3. It would be better to remove clicks on the drop-down menus or show the menu separately
Hot Jar has six main packages and these include:
*20,000 pageviews/day: $89/month
*50,000 pageviews/day: $189/month
*120,000 pageviews/day: $289/month
*200,000 pageviews/day: $389/month
*400,000 pageviews/day: $589/month
*800,000 pageviews/day: $989/month
*For anything over this number, you’ll have to contact the company directly to get a personalized quote.
The website traffic checker that you choose is important but it doesn’t have to be difficult to find the best one. While some of these programs are geared towards a special industry, most of them can be utilized by businesses of all types and sizes. Fortunately, most of them also offer services at reasonable prices that aren’t considered expensive because smaller businesses with less marketing needs usually pay much lower prices for the services.
Researching these programs online is a great way to determine which one is best for your particular business. You can find out what real-life customers really think about them and what critics have considered their good points and bad points. You shouldn’t let price be the only factor that you consider and you shouldn’t consider lower-priced or free programs to be substandard; in the end, all of the programs are effective and beneficial for somebody out there.